Monday, October 24, 2011

mental snapshots

I love my friends.  I love being surrounded by their presence and listening to the noise their kids make while they play with Izzy.  I love the abundance of food and drink that flows through the kitchen and fills us to we are too full and then we go back for more.  I was born to entertain.  To host gatherings on a whim and to feed the masses.  I love every second of it.

However,  I learned today that I love it even more when it is just the three of us.  The 80 degree weather in October keeps luring us out of the house and down to the ocean's edge.  We met there today on the rocky sand shore of Carmel beach further south where the locals go to play and the tourist know nothing about.  I freed myself from the weight of my camera this trip so that I could enjoy both my loves in this moment.  Fortunately, this event did not go undocumented because I took lots and lots of mental snapshots.   Snapshots of Chris and Izzy playing on the rocks.  Examining sea creatures.  Letting the very cold water rush up their toes and onto their legs as they played in small pools of ocean water.  As I sat there blinking my eyes to click my mental camera I am amazed at my daughter.  How brave she is standing next to that big ole ocean but also how timid she is as she keeps either Chris or I at arms length just in case the next wave might scoop her out to sea.  She is always running 10 steps ahead but always looking behind to make sure we are following and paying attention.  I know these days are limited and 10 feet will turn in to miles between us and arms length will be for hugs and less frequent intimate moments.  I am loving this time with both of them.  It's very quite and calm but so much fun.

:: Lynda and Darrell


Chris's cousin, Darrell and his wife, Lynda take a trip every October.  This year for their 3rd wedding anniversary they traveled west to take in the sights of Monterey and of course, to see us.  Our week would not be complete without trekking our stuff down to Carmel beach, south of 10th ave, to build a bonfire, grill hotdogs and roast marshmallows.  And once again, our car has the distinct smell of a burning campfire and our house is littered with sand.  And once again, I am happy.


IMG_4676 IMG_4678 IMG_4684 IMG_4692 IMG_4647 IMG_4671

 ::  Halloween


Halloween is in full swing this year.  Mom has made Izzy's costume, decorations hang from our walls, candy is bought, spice pumpkins were made (and eaten), candy corn fills our candy dishes and pumpkins have been carved.  Izzy and I have practiced the trick-o-treating routine.  Mostly she just mimics everything I do.  She will get it though.  Once she watches her friends ring the doorbell, scream trick or treat, and run away with candy... she will get it.  Maybe this year I will sit back and watch her go to the doors with her friends........ or maybe not.  :)  

IMG_4597 IMG_4632


HAPPY MONDAY EVERYONE!! 

IMG_4612

No comments:

Post a Comment