Wednesday, December 14, 2011

the christmas shuffle

So we've made it.  We've made it to the place where things smell perfect, family roams the house, lots or smiles and hugs, many laughs and lots of traditions.... we are home.  

IMG_7967

 Not only are we home, we are home for Christmas.  We are in the land where every room has it's own Christmas theme and every nativity scene is missing baby Jesus until Christmas morning.

IMG_7982 IMG_7998 IMG_8001

We are among our favorite people and I am trying to soak up every second of it.  Every moment I'm awake I want to be visiting with someone.  I can't wait for tomorrow when everyone is finished with work for the rest of year and we get to play every day.  As for now, we are enjoying our evenings with Oma and Papa.  Izzy is helping around the house while I make sure she only plays with the things that don't scream "I'M TOTALLY BREAKABLE SO PLAY WITH ME!!!"

IMG_7989

IMG_7971

I cherish the traditions my mom has made for me and my sister.  Now I can understand why they were so important to her.  I hope one day Izzy will also treasure the my efforts to create new traditions while still holding on to my families yearly celebrations.  I haven't quite figured out what our traditions will be but I will find one.  I do know.... we will always frost Christmas cutout cookies together, baby Jesus will be MIA until Christmas morning and we will drive around in our jammies while drinking hot cocoa judging neighborhood Christmas lights.  EEEEEEK!!!  I get excited just thinking about all of it.

  IMG_7975

IMG_7991

IMG_7992

IMG_7994

IMG_8002

IMG_8004

For military families who are unable to spend this season with their loved one, I am thinking about you.  We've been in your shoes and I hold on to that emotion every Christmas since my husband was deployed.  Even with him home it's hard to let it go knowing there are so many families with out their daddies and mommies, aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters.  So how do you get through Christmas?  This is what I did....

Have yourself a good little cry, alone, in the morning before everything begins.  Then enjoy your day.  You being miserable is not going to bring your soldier, sailor, marine or airman home any faster.  Document your day with pictures to send to them in their next care package.  Just remember... they want to be here for this as much as you want them there for Christmas.  They will be home soon and you can put your Christmas tree up in July and celebrate again!! Christmas is a special time of year but it's only one day.  You can do it!!

IMG_7995

No comments:

Post a Comment